Friday, August 28, 2009

Four Legged Babies & Toxins


Yesterday little Spike got a hold of mom's macadamia nuts.
Now she thought they were safe on her desk,
but the little guy got on her chair and stole the bag.
He must have eaten about 5 of the nuts.
This morning he was unable to walk and
didn't want to move his back legs.
Macadamia nuts are toxic and can cause depression,
muscle tremors, fever and weakness.
It may also cause Kidney Failure.
Symptoms can last 48 hours.

To be on the safe side however Mom has taken Spike
to the Vet and all the results came back good.
He's walking around normally, but he won't be
completely back to normal for a couple days.
Spike is strong little guy and will be back on track soon.
But not all fur babies can pull through,
so please research make sure all your family members
know what the pets can and can not have.
And make sure vet information is posted
on fridge or a general common area.

You can go to this link for more foods
that are toxic for you four legged baby.
http://www.peteducation.com

3 comments:

Cindy Shea said...

Wow Kristin thanks so much for the info! I didn't know that macadamia nuts were toxic to dogs! I knew that chocolate and onions were and I am very careful about those but I will be extra careful now about sharing a bite of baked goods with my doggy. :)

ShoppingTamii said...

It's weird the stuff they can't have! My beagle ate wood (long story, but she'll eat anything!)...she spent 4 days at the vet, they had to let it "pass" and make sure she kept hydrated. But it hasn't stopped her strange appetite LOL!

Ann Arbogast said...

Glad to hear Spike will be ok. Dogs will eat just about anything. I freaked when my dog swallowed a button when she was a puppy. I heard of horry stories of things getting lodged in their bellies and then having to have surgery to remove it. My oldest Sammy was having a hard time pooping and when she did she had red hanging out of her bo bos. I freaked...ended up being the red wrap they put around balonga. She must have got in the garbage. Obviously she could not digest it and had problems. So many dangers for pups out there.

Pages